What do I say about Samosas, life is incomplete without this snack. Indians and samosas are inseparable. How did this love journey begin I am still to know but this snack is loved by almost everyone.
Prep & Cooking time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- 1 cup Maida (all-purpose flour)
- 2 tbsp oil
- Large pinch Ajwain (optional)
- Water (to knead the maida)
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep frying
For the filling:
- 2 boiled Potatoes, mashed
- 1/4 cup boiled Peas
- 1/4 tsp grated Ginger
- 1 tsp Red Chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp Coriander powder
- 1 pinch Cumin powder
- 1 pinch Kasuri Methi
- A dash of Lemon juice
- 1 pinch of Garam Masala
- Chopped Coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
- Mix the maida with salt, oil, ghee and Ajwain and combine to form a crumbly mixture. Now slowly add enough water to make a pliable dough, not too soft. Divide the dough and shape into balls. Keep it aside covered with a moist cloth for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a vessel, add oil, add Cumin seeds and allow them to brown. Add the Ginger, Spice powders and a tbsp of water and sauté for a few seconds. Add the mashed Potatoes and boiled Peas and cook over medium flame for a few minutes, approximately 3-4 minutes. Add Kasuri Methi and Lemon juice, combine. Add the Coriander leaves and turn off heat.
- Now that the stuffing is ready, prepare the outer layer for the Samosas.
- Roll each ball with the rolling pin into a slightly thin puri, slightly elongated in shape. Take a knife and divide the rolled puri into two by cutting through the center.
- Now take a semi-circle piece of the roti, and make a fold in the shape of a triangle. Seal along the fold. Now place this cone between your thumb and index finger and place a ball of the stuffing inside. Wet your finger and run it along the edges of the dough with water and seal to enclose the stuffing.
- Press the ends firmly so that the filling does not come out during the deep frying process. Prepare with the rest of the dough in the same manner.
- Heat enough oil in a wide vessel to deep fry the samosas. Heat the oil till hot but not piping hot. Reduce flame to low medium and drop 2-3 samosas into the oil slowly and deep fry them till golden brown, turning them carefully to the other side so that it cooks on all sides.
- Remove onto absorbent paper and serve warm over a cup of chai.
Powered by Facebook Comments