Poha or as gujaratis called it pava or as it is known as Avalakki in South, is a wonderful to eat food. It is light, healthy, easy to make and filled with nutrients if made with loads of vegetables and pomegranate. Poha can be served for breakfast or during high tea. A dash of lime and 2 spoons of sugar is what we gujaratis like it with 🙂
Ingredients for Poha:
- 1 cup Poha (pressed rice)
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/8 tsp Asafoetida
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/2 cup Onions-chopped fine
- 8-10 Curry leaves
- 2-3 whole Red Chillies
- 1/2 cup Potatoes-diced small
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 tsp Green Chillies-finely chopped or to taste
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1 tbsp chopped Coriander leaves
- Lemon wedges for garnish
- Put Poha in a colander and wash, not letting it soak too long in the water. Leave in the colander to drain out the water completely.
- Heat the oil and add the Asafoetida, Mustard seeds, Curry leaves, Onions and the whole Red Chillies.
- When Onions are light brown, add potatoes, and turn around till they look a bit glossy.
- Add the Turmeric powder and sauté over low heat till the potatoes are cooked through.
- Increase the heat, add salt and Poha and mix well. Saute till mixed and heated through.
- Shut off the heat, and mix in the Green Chillies, Lemon juice and half of the Coriander.
- Transfer on to a serving dish, garnish with the rest of the Coriander and Lemon wedges and serve.
Powered by Facebook Comments